Tuesday 29 May 2007

Maglev train gets shelved in China


I could still remember the time I took the Maglev train in Shanghai. The trip lasted less than 8 minutes from start to finish and all throughout the ride, I was fixated with the digital speedometer displayed at the front of the cabin. The train reached a maximum speed of about 380km/h for less than 30 seconds before decelerating gracefully into its destination. The joyride was over before I even had the chance to kick off my shoes.

A couple of days ago, it was announced that the plan to extend the current maglev line to Hangzhou was put on hold, partly due to concerns regarding 'health' reasons - radiation. Residents living along the proposed route had been petitioning against the plan and seems that their opposition has borne fruit. I can't help but draw parallels about the residents' concern with magnetic mattresses which were once a rage. Imagine the maglev as a huge magnetic mattress, hey you reap all the benefits simply by living near the maglev line, without having to spend a single cent.

No comments: