Tuesday 24 July 2007

I need to start learning French

Had the pleasure (or misfortune) of being part of a discussion between two chief developers, a developer and a passionate project manager regarding issues around a new development. I was the only non-French speaking person in the discussion - my french never went beyond counting to ten and saying 'Oui' or 'Non' or maybe throw in a 'Je voudrais' - and my French colleagues were kind enough to entertain me. Our discussion went like this:

Chief developer A: So we are gathered here for ..
Chief developer B: Developer C, you look like you lost 20kilos, what happen?
Developer C: I lost a couple of pounds, not kilos. (in French) It is all becos of this joker sitting beside me (he was pointing to me)
*Laughs all around* I was acting blur. True, I was testing the development done by him, but no way I was pushing him that hard. Anyway he looked pretty good when he's slimmer.
Chief developer B: So whats the problem? (he was referring to the issues)
Project Manager D: Well, this is the list of reviews we have from the client (begins to go through the list of issues)
Chief developer B: attente, attente .. What are these problems? Why are we speaking in Engrish now?
Project Manager D: Because *my_name* can speaks only English, so ...
Chief developer B: I see, so you are the problem (pointing at me) ...
All: Hahahaha ...

They were nice enough to do the whole discussion in English, breaking once in a while to French when talking about something really technical, but giving excuses before they do so.

I guess it is about time I start picking up some French phrases. Will try to write one post in French ... hmmm...

No comments: