Sunday 22 July 2007

Liberty on Wheels


On my way to work, spotted something new on the streets of Passy, Paris. Nope, it was not an automatic dog-poo clean-up machine. I still occasionally get ambushed by a pile of dog-poo when I am not paying attention to where my feet is landing.


It is the new communal bike program which was launched early this week. Aptly named as Velib', a play of words 'Velo' (bike) and 'liberte' (liberty), there are approximately 10,600 of these grey-ish looking bikes installed at 750 docking stations each situated 300m apart.
Parisians' response to these bikes were pretty healthy, judging by the number of people I saw riding these bikes on my way to work. I am really eager to try one of these out this week - the handsome looking self-service docking machines apparently spew out instructions in eight different languages - all that I need is supposedly a bank card.

Tour de France, here I come ... check out the lovely basket at the front of the Velib', doesn't it look gorgeous?

No comments: