Sunday 28 October 2007

Our First Trip To Wembley Stadium

Wifey and I just returned from the first ever NFL's international series match between Miami Dolphins and the NY Giants at Wembley Stadium.

The London weather was in her usual foul mood and there was constant rain throughout the match, resulting in seven fumbles and a missed field goal for each team. It was a first of sorts for wifey and I. First time at the Wembley stadium - the size and atmosphere was just astonishing, our first time at an NFL match - we were learning about the game as it progresses, and our first cheeseburger since arriving in London.

We took a train to the Wembley Park Tube station followed by a 15 minutes walk up to the main entrance of the Wembley stadium.


The pre-game show included performances by the British band 'The Feeling' as well as R&B singer Jocelyn Brown. John Terry and Lewis Hamilton made guest appearances for the coin toss.


The Gaints eventually topped the Dolphins 13-10, holding off a late challenge in the last two minutes of the last quarter.

Between American football and Soccer, I think I still prefer the latter. Next up, Stamford Bridge. Chelsea Vs Everton 11th Nov.

2 comments:

KenQ said...

Heh. I remember my first trip to Wembley. Though back then it was the old Wembley. Went there for an Arsenal Champions League match. Though I forgot who it was against. (I don't even support Arsenal...)

It's nice to see Singaporeans making their own pathways through life outside of our own tiny red dot. Great to see that you seem to be enjoying it too.

Maybe you could enlighten as to what a Financial Engineer does, if it so takes your fancy? It's a possible career change for me due to my own background in Maths, but have never really managed to find out just what they do...

(Maybe your comment at my blog was some kind of sign? =)

Eaststopper said...

;-)
Hi Oken, impressive that you even managed to get a ticket for an Arsenal match. It is near mission impossible to get hold of any Arsenal tickets if you are not a silver/gold member or a season ticket holder.

Wiki defines financial engineering as 'a cross-disciplinary field which relies on mathematical finance, numerical methods and computer simulations to make trading, hedging and investment decisions, as well as facilitating the risk management of those decisions.' It goes on to define financial engineers as practitioners who 'aim to precisely determine the financial risk that certain financial instruments create.' ;-)

Well as for me, I was trained as a FE, but am now working in a twilight zone where technology meets finance.

Having a good feel of numbers is necessary if you want a job in the risk department of any financial institution. I know a math lecturer in university who made the transition to working in a bank.

Wife and I are in sorta a transitory state where we are torn between staying on in London and heading back to sunny Singapore. At the moment, London is leading though ...