Thursday 1 November 2007

Losing Credibility

It's a holiday today in Paris and I am working in the office. I like working in the office when it is the holidays as the quiet surroundings bring a sense of peace and serenity, especially when you have a big problem on your hands.

This week has got to be the most nerve-racking and morale-deflating week of my life. I have lost my credibility due to the repeated failed attempts to resolve a production issue on the client's side. The problem, in many ways, is complex, and it is not helped by the fact that I was working alone on this, together with the developer who seem to have as much difficulty as I have in deciphering where the issue lie.
As consultants, we are usually put on the firing line first and in my eagerness to move forward, I broke the one rule that should never be broken - I gave advise without first testing it on my end and the advice given was quite a disaster. The client was furious and the matter escalated to upper management. Guess my project manager had a pretty tough time with higher management yesterday, this client is not an easy one to deal with.

My credibility lost and my confidence naturally shaken. It's tough to pick up the pieces and try to move forward, but it's nevertheless a good learning experience. I am glad it is a holiday in Paris today. I miss a hug from my wife....

;-) Today also happens to be my fifth year working in this company ... Nice!

3 comments:

Paths said...

Sweetheart, your wife is never far from you. No matter how isolating your thoughts and feelings may seem, she stands unwavering by your side, with undoubting faith and tender love for you.

Eaststopper said...

BIG hugs tonight!

Anonymous said...

Yo Kangz,

What doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. There're probably more precious things in life that needs your attention, so get up & move on.